Hare Krishna dear devotees,

pamho

agtsp!!

i am new on this forum and not getting my way around just jet:)

i am trying to find some guidelines about how to feed a baby when weaning starts after six months, and how to take care of infant/toddler health with natural remedies, and so on.  i am not finding much information...i mean like a book or something, not forums where people generally write what they think. i was hoping to find something like approved from iskcon, or from scriptures. or maybe from some devotee that is a pediatrician or ayurvedic doctor?

there are many "karmi" versions of charts what food should be introduced when and so on but i was hoping that something like that could be found in our community, and not just adjusting karmi versions to our lifestyle. 

for example i know cow milk is very important in devotee, and especially child life, but so many karmi doctors do not agree.. so i would like to know ayurvedic standard on how to give kids milk to be acceptable, and when. 

also we decided not to vaccine our baby so i was wondering is there some ayurvedic tips of how to boost immune system an so on.

does anyone know is there some literature perhaps from iskcon? ayurveda? 

any tips are welcomed! 

if there is not any iskcon should really publish few books on feeding, health, psychic&emotional development of baby/toddlers, it woul be soooo useful!:)

anyhow, thank you for your input!

ys govinda-priya dd

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Dear Krishna-Lila Shastri Mataji,

Please accept my humble obeisances.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Thank you very much for the nice information you have given. My mother had 4 children in less than 10 years, but she never breastfed any child more than 10 months, so she cannot advice me on prolonged breastfeeding. You have mentioned that if the child eats regularly, their need for breastfeeding will drop. My child is 2 years 4 months now. He is eating quite regularly and yes, during the day he does not feed so much, when he is busy playing, when we are on walks etc. But he still feeds quite a lot during night and if sometimes he gets little sick, some fever or cold, he does that even during day. Sometimes I am getting quite nervous about it.

If you have read something or you know from your mother or somebody else, could you please advice something on this? To me it seems not so much the question of food but rather psychological. Because often he just sucks a little bit and then just holds the nipple and and plays with my clothing and kantimala. He likes being with me in this way, and it is a nice exchange, but often not so practical, when there are lots of things to do... ;-) When I try to put him down he screams very loudly. He does not take a pacifier. Some people advice to smear nipples with something bitter so he would wean once and for all. But I am wondering if there are more peaceful means. I do not mind continue some breastfeeding, but as for now it seems too often and too long for such a big child...

Thank you in advance,

Your humble servant,

Madhavi-lata d.d. 

• thank you!

by now my little girl is 10,5 month old and we are doing great. i think i was new in everything so was a little scared if i am doing everything alright :)now i am more comfortable in everything and all goes so smooth. she eats 3 meals a day, and is a very good eater. i do still breastfeed and will continue. i read so many literature but i guess practice is best:)

thank you for your time and input, it would be great to use this forum to share about motherhood! :)

Hare Krishna, ys

• Volunteer

This survey was A German study released in September 2011 of about 8000 UNVACCINATED children, newborn to 19 years, show vaccinated children have more than twice the diseases and disorders than unvaccinated children.
    The results are presented in the bar chart below; the complete data and study results are here. The data is compared to the national German KIGGS health study of the children in the general population. Most of the respondents to the survey were from the U.S. (Click on the chart to see it better)

Salzburger Study
    Results: of 1004 unvaccinated children, had
    Asthma, 0% (8-12% in the normal population)
    A-topic dermatitis 1.2% (10-20% in the normal population)
    Allergies 3% (25% in the normal population)
    ADHD 0.79% (5-10%) in children
    Longterm Study in Guinea-Bissau (1 Kristensen I, Aaby P, Jensen H.:“Routine vaccinations and child survival: follow up study in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa”, BMJ 2000; 321: 1435–41)
    The children of 15,000 mothers were observed from 1990 to 1996 for 5 years.
    Result: the death rate in vaccinated children against diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough is twice as high as the unvaccinated children (10.5% versus 4.7%).
    New Zealand Survey (1992) (http://www.ias.org.nz)
    The study involved 254 children. In which 133 children were vaccinated and 121 remained unvaccinated.
    Result:Symptom vaccinated unvaccinated
    Asthma 20 (15%) 4 (3%)
    Eczema or allergic rashes 43 (32%) 16 (13%)
    Chronic otitis 26 (20%) 8 (7%)
    Recurrent tonsillitis 11 (8%) 3 (2%)
    Shortness of breath and sudden infant death syndrome 9 (7%) 2 (2%)
    Hyperactivity 10 (8%) 1 (1%)

http://journal.livingfood.us/2011/10/09/new-study-vaccinated-childr...

Your servant

Hema Lavanya Das

iAS Tech Blog
    Its all about tech,news & games
  • Volunteer

from scriptures: Shrinivasa Acharya was devoted to his parents. He was fortunate to hear both Mahaprabhu’s divine glories as well as Radha and Krishna’s Vrindavan pastimes from his father. The two of them would go into an ecstatic state as they discussed these transcendental topics. Shrinivasa’s mother trained him in kirtan. http://gaudiyahistory.com/srinivasa-acarya-pastimes/

gaudiyahistory.com - This website is for sale! - biographies Gaudiya Vaishnava Vaishnava Ga…
    This website is for sale! gaudiyahistory.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more…
  • Volunteer

Dear Govinda-priya Mataji!

I was requested by devotees to reply to this discussion, so maybe my experience helps you in some way.

I have a 25 month old son. When he was born, I did not have any experience with children. But several devotees told me that it is good to breastfeed him at least for several years. They told that women would do that in traditional cultures. I know some other devotees doing it.

So now I am breastfeeding him for the 3rd year. I started to introduce other foods by 6 months, but he did not eat much of it. I tried making porridges and vegetable purees, but he would never eat them. So I just breastfed him and allowed him to eat whatever he wanted from our normal prasadam - rice, dal, sabji, chapati, fruit... But up to about 15 months of age he ate very little of the other things except for breast milk. Then he started eat more, but up until now he is still breastfeeding several times a day and at night.

So he is very very healthy and growing fast. I am able to visit temple once in several months, and every time several devotees express their surprise at how fast he is growing. I did not vaccinate him. He never had any health problem during these years, except for little allergy at about 2 to 5 months age, and a little cold and running nose a few times. I studied biology, and the thing is that from the breastmilk the child is getting ready antibodies against any disease that the mother has immunity for. So my experience is that when we both catch cold, he gets over it several days quicker than me, because he is getting the ready antibodies while I have to make them :-). The only problem is that his front teeth are not in a very good condition due to breastfeeding so much, but otherwise he is extremely healthy and his digestion is great.

As for myself, it is a very big austerity to breastfeed so long, I sometimes feel like dying. It is only possible if your husband is maintaining you and you can focus on the child. My husband is, but still it is very very austere. Otherwise with the modern lifestyle, it is not possible. Therefore so many other artificial things are needed to care for children.

And yes, the karmi doctors say that milk is bad and flesh is good. That's what his doctor was saying every visit. Finally we moved to another place and I just brought that doctor prasadam and goodbye.

If I there is anything else I could help you, please contact me or reply to this, I will be happy.

Your humble servant,

Madhavi-lata d.d.

• hare krsna madhava lata mataji,

i have a daughter of 1 year and 2 months old..she always likes to be breast fed very often..and doesnt much concentrate on rice,cereals,veggies and such foods..im bit worried as to what kind and amount of foof must be given for her well nourished nutrition..can u pls suggest a food time table on weeekly basis..

ur servant ,

• dear keerthana,

Here is my knowledge and I would like to share:

My son is 21 months old and since 4 months old he is eating fruits, cereals, legumes, vegetables and milk products. This is how a vegetarian baby should eat:

First of all after one year although she is taking mumy's milk she should be eating at least two meals a day. And the hours of eating should be fixed and regular otherwise the baby will not feel hunger and will not eat the meals which she should eat. The time of eating should be respected and they should be eating 4 times a day. Otherwise there will be indigestion.

Also if mumy doesn't eat a good diet which is rich of vitamin D, omega 3, calcium, iron, zinc, B12 than the baby can't have these minerals and vitamins.

Each meal other than the mumy milk should contain of cereals, legumes and vegetables.

Between one meal, she can eat fruit and in another between the meals she can take milk products. Because if we eat milk products with legumes the body can't absorb the iron/ferro in the legumes.

Also according to ayurveda, we should never mix cow yoghurt and cow milk products with fruits.

And when she eats legumes, if she also take vitamin c in the form of orange juice or lemon juice etc. the vitamin c will enhance the absorption of the iron from the legumes.

Here is the amounts of the food for the toddlers between 12-24 months old:

(In that age she should be between 75-78cm high)

The most important food is milk, then cereals. So cereals should always include in every meal,breakfast, lunch, supper and meal.

Can eat milk products once a day.

And she should eat oils like olive oil, sesam oil, flux seed oil etc. And should be eating nuts, hazels nuts (cream form), walnuts (rich in omega 3), toasted sesames, almond( in powder form) and pistacchio. These are very important. Peanuts can be allergic so I don't suggest but the rest is very important to get essential oils. Also oat is very important and should be in her diet for iron.

BREAKFAST:

Mumy milk or soya or rice milk.

cereals: bread, rice, wheat, biscuits, barley, hazelnut cream etc.

LUNCH:

Cereals: Pasta, rice, barley, corn, couscous, millet (40-60 gr)

Legumes: Lentils, peas, beans, azuki beans, chickpeas, quinoa etc.(20-30 gr)

Cooked Vegetables

Olive oil

toasted sesame seeds

10-20 gr cheese

SUPPER:

Yogurt or milk with biscuits or cereals.

Or soya/rice milk with fruits and Biscuits with cereals.

Or nuts and cereals.

DINNER:

The same of lunch.

If daily she takes 250 gr-500gr of milk.( mum's or cow) That is more than enough.

Your aspiring servant,

• Hare krsna Dear mataji,

You have profound knowledge about baby's food also of mom's..thank you so much for your humble attempt of exploring your ideas and helping me out..

Hari bol,

ur servant,

• Volunteer

thank You so much dear Madhavi Lata Mataji! 

It is so nice that You are feeding Your son up to his 3 years old. In the lectures i heard that in the beginning of the life kids feel insecure. And they get that feeling only from the milk of a mother. Through milk mother gives the feeling of security to a child. 

Also heard that it is nice to feed the kid up to 5 years age. Of course it is possible if mother stays and eats in nature and natural food. Along with cows and all.

Other wise breast milk will stop after 1-2 years because of stress of city life.

--------

For cold please try ghee drops to Your nose. I do not know if it is ok for a baby but i try it myself and for many weeks i do not catch cold. And when i have fever i apply ghee to my hands and feet and sleep nicely covered for whole night. And in the morning no disease. 

Thank You again!

Your servant

• Volunteer

those kids who got such like security in childhood will give great security to others when they get older. No matter spiritual, material, physical ... according to their nature. Because of that it says that women should be protected. Because they are mothers who are first gurus to the kids who are the future of the society.

Your servant, 

This reply was deleted.